National Drive Electric Week is September 25 through October 3, 2021. Join a local event to learn more or register to show off your electric ride!Dory Larsen | September 16, 2021
September in the Southeast means two things: hurricane season is well underway… AND, it’s National Drive Electric Week!
These two seemingly unrelated issues actually have a hopeful connection. Consider these concurrent circumstances:
- The recently released IPCC report authors warn again of the “unequivocal” connection between human emissions of greenhouse gases (GHG) and long-term heating of the planet.
- There is a growing body of evidence that this heating is a factor in the severity, frequency, and likelihood of powerful hurricanes.
- Currently, in the US, the transportation system is the largest contributor of CO2.
- Electric vehicles (EVs) have significantly fewer lifetime emissions than traditional vehicles, are getting cleaner as the electric grid decarbonizes, and can be powered by renewable energy. Plus, in addition to mitigating carbon emissions, they are frequently cheaper to own over the lifetime of the vehicle.
SACE is a longtime proponent of electrifying transportation and cleaning the grid as critical and complementary components that will help us reach carbon reduction goals. Electrifying transportation and advancing clean energy in our region are the fastest ways to:
- Reduce our dependence on fossil fuels,
- Decrease air pollution,
- Improve public health, and
- Mitigate the worst impacts of the climate crisis such as increased and more intense hurricanes.
As part of our advocacy promoting electric transportation as a solution to the climate crisis through our Electrify the South program, SACE is once again participating in National Drive Electric Week!
National Drive Electric Week
Not surprisingly, as more automakers are introducing electric models, more Americans are considering purchasing an EV than ever before. Many are curious to learn more about EVs from a trusted source – which was the inspiration for National Drive Electric Week. NDEW is an international week of events where people can see a wide variety of electric models in one place, talk to EV owners, and have their questions answered.
Driving on Sunshine
There are dozens of events across the Southeast and SACE is proud to be offering test rides and drives at two of the events through our Driving on Sunshine initiative.
Join us for a ride and drive in a Tesla in Orlando on Saturday, September 25, from 11 AM- 3 PM! This event is located at the Ace Cafe, 100 W Livingston St., Orlando, Florida 32801-1548. Pre-register for the event, here. On the day of the event, riders will also need to sign in at the Southern Alliance for Clean Energy/Driving On Sunshine tent to ride in an electric vehicle.
Join us in Knoxville on Saturday, September 25, from 10 AM- 3 PM to test drive a Telsa Model 3! This event is being hosted by the Knoxville Electric Vehicle Association (KEVA) and is located at Pellissippi State Community College-Hardin Valley Campus (Main Campus), 10915 Hardin Valley Rd., Knoxville, TN 37933-0990. Pre-register for the event. On the day of the event, drivers will also need to sign in at the Southern Alliance for Clean Energy/Driving On Sunshine tent to test drive a Tesla Model 3.
This year, COVID guidelines will be in place to ensure it is as safe of an event as possible including:
- Wiping down the test drive vehicles after every drive
- Limiting passengers to a family unit
- Windows down completely during the drive to ensure good airflow, and
- Offering hand sanitizer at every interaction point.
For both Driving on Sunshine opportunities, we will have a limited number of spots available and they will be offered on a first-come-first-served basis. Pre-registration does not confirm a test drive slot. You must be 25 years or older to drive and must wear a mask when in the vehicle. You will also need to have a valid driver’s license with you.
Read on for more National Drive Electric Week events across the Southeast!
Didn’t see an event near you? Take a look at NDEW’s website to find one!
Electrify the South is a program of the Southern Alliance for Clean Energy that leverages research, advocacy, and outreach to promote renewable energy and accelerate the equitable transition to electric transportation throughout the Southeast. Visit ElectrifytheSouth.org to learn more and connect with us.