On February 16, six new members of the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) Board of Directors will join three existing members for the first quarterly TVA Board meeting of 2023 in Florence, Alabama. President Biden nominated three of the six new members to the TVA Board in 2021 and the other three in early 2022, so it has been a lengthy waiting process.
However, it’s critical that the new leadership act swiftly on key priorities that determine TVA’s ability, as the nation’s largest public power entity, to fulfill its stated mission of providing affordable clean energy, economic development, and environmental stewardship. The delivery of this mission is incumbent on strong TVA Board leadership, which includes accountability and transparency.
The Southern Alliance for Clean Energy welcomes the new TVA Board members and calls on them to prioritize five key objectives:
- Accountability and oversight of TVA, starting with an independent review of the blackouts of December 2022.
- Transparency and meaningful public participation, particularly surrounding major TVA decisions and events.
- A broader approach to economic development that goes beyond a focus on load growth to include both reducing energy burdens for customers and increasing energy efficiency while also growing jobs.
- As an extension of the federal administration, bring the TVA into alignment with the administration’s commitments to long-term carbon reduction goals by effectively implementing energy components of the Bipartisan Infrasture Law and the Inflation Reduction Act.
- Begin the development of a comprehensive Integrated Resource Plan immediately so that TVA can keep its commitment to complete an IRP every five years.
The TVA Board members have the power to lead our nation’s largest public utility toward a stronger future so that it uplifts not only our people and communities in the Tennessee Valley but also serves as an example for the nation. We look forward to supporting and working with the TVA Board.
For more information on the five key objectives, including supporting resources, please click here.