- This event has passed.
May 26 @ 2:00 pm - 5:00 pm
May is Clean Air Month and we have teamed up with groups across the Southeast to draw attention to this invisible health threat which causes 1 in 5 deaths globally. Access to healthy air is an inherent human right but many of us in the Southeast are breathing polluted air every day making our families and communities sick. The Southeast has the highest rates of asthma. But it doesn’t have to be this way.
Join us and bring your questions for a screening of the short 20-minute documentary film “Planet Prescription: Healing Healer. Healing The Planet. Healing Us,” which listens to stories from health professionals in the Southeast as they witness how air pollution and climate change are impacting human health, especially children’s health and the communities impacted most by racial injustice. This collaborative film was made in partnership with the Climate Listening Project, Mothers & Others for Clean Air, and Narrative Healthcare at Lenoir Rhyne University.
After the film a live expert panel will answer your questions as they discuss “The Cumulative Effects of Air Pollution & The Role of Environmental Racism.“ We will be taking live audience questions throughout the event!
We are honored to have as our moderator the Rev. Dr. Gerald Durley a civil rights icon, prominent pastor and activist. He will be leading the expert panel discussion featuring:
- David A. Padgett, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Geography, Director, Geographic Information Sciences Laboratory, Tennessee State University
- Eri Saikawa, Ph.D. Associate Professor, Director of Graduate Studies, Department of Environmental Sciences, Emory University
- Jennifer Barkin, MS, Ph.D. Associate Professor of Community Medicine & Obstetrics & Gynecology at the Mercer University School of Medicine
- Johnnie D. Thomas, RN Community-Based Health Navigator, Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta
- Laura Kate Bender, National Assistant Vice President, Healthy Air at American Lung Association
- Alliance for Affordable Energy
- Center for Common Ground
- Cherokee Concerned Citizens
- Climate Reality Atlanta Chapter
- Elders Climate Action
- Medical Advocates for Healthy Air
- Mothers & Others For Clean Air
- NC Interfaith Power & Light, a program of the NC Council of Churches
- ReThink Energy Florida
- Southern Alliance for Clean Energy
- The People’s Justice Council